Storage Auctions in Houston
Big Tex Self Storage provides vital information for storage auctions in Houston at its area locations.
In the United States, most self storage facilities hold storage auctions or lien sales to vacate non-paying tenants according to their enforcement rights that are outlined within the laws of each state. These auctions are opened to the general public with most bidders’ buying for the purpose of reselling for profit. Storage auctions in Houston are a great way to buy secondhand merchandise for pennies on the wholesale dollar. If you are someone who sells at flea markets, garage sales or on eBay, you will probably find Big Tex Self Storage auctions in Houston to be one of your best sources for merchandise.
Before a unit goes to auction, Big Tex will make every effort to communicate with unit owner and resolve any issues. We give unit owners 30 days to empty out their space if a payment is not made. If 45 days go by, we have the right to put a storage unit for auction. We will take every action to contact you if your unit is at risk of going to auction.
In-Person Storage Auctions Houston
Be sure to arrive 10-15 minutes prior to a scheduled Houston storage unit auction. Before the auction starts, Big Tex Self Storage will have a sign-in sheet and a set of our rules going over the terms and conditions of the auction. Terms and conditions will vary.
- Most auctions are “live” or “verbal”, very few are silent (sealed bids)
- Cash is the acceptable form of payment and sales tax will be charged if the buyer cannot show a valid resale license and proper identification
- Storage auctions are very different then most types of auctions. You are bidding on the entire contents of a unit or lot
- Units or lots are usually viewed 1 by 1 with the viewing limited to the doorway entrance of the storage unit or container
- The bidding starts after all bidders have had a viewing of the property
Bids sometimes start out as low as $1.00 and can proceed upwards with the property being sold to the highest bidder. Don’t forget, the high bidder must remove all contents of the unit purchased within the time specified by Big Tex Self Storage. We do not allow the use of our garbage cans or dumpsters and units are expected to be broom swept clean.
Online Storage Auctions Houston
We also offer online storage unit auctions using StorageTreasures. Interested parties will be able to view applicable unit auctions online and place bids much like the traditional process. Membership to the site is free and adds greater flexibility to our storage unit auctions.
- 10 percent deposit charged to winning bidder
- Bring copy of receipt and valid I.D. to collect goods and pay balance (cash only)
- If you are a reseller, bring proof of resale certificate
- 72 hours to empty unit
- If unit not emptied within allotted time, winning bidder loses right to unit and is transferred to second highest bidder
- $50 refundable cleaning fee
Houston Storage Unit Auctions Tips
- Plan one day ahead: All storage auctions in Houston are subject to cancellation in the event of settlement between the landlord and obligated parties. Many delinquent tenants will wait to the very last moment to satisfy their obligation. Our Houston storage auctions are subject to change, so feel free to phone the site to confirm that the auction is still going as scheduled.
- Consistency: If you are planning to earn good money with the storage auction Houston game, you need to be consistent. The more storage auctions in Houston you attend, the better your percentages get with purchasing units.
- Tools: There are no other required tools except if you purchase a unit, Big Tex Self Storage requires the high bidder to use their own disc lock to secure the unit they purchased. Your second best investment would be a strong flashlight. Viewing the units or lots from the entrance area is almost impossible to do without good strong flashlight.
- Solve the Puzzles: The way a lot or a unit looks can clue you into potential value. Add up the total scenario:
- Is there name brand merchandise?
- Are the boxes sealed and taped?
- Are the boxes sealed and re-taped?
- Do the boxes appear to be purchased for storage or does it look like they came from the back of your local grocery store?
- Are the boxes carefully marked with content information?
- Do the boxes have a moving company’s name on them (professional movers can be expensive)?
- Are there any addresses visible on any of the boxes or suitcases that appear through out the unit?
- How is the condition and quality of the furnishings?
- Does the furniture appear to be a complete household?
- Can you see any ornate or antique looking furniture table legs?
- Is there a lot of dust settled high on the contents of the unit? (Someone could have paid rent on the storage space for a several years)
Big Tex - The Woodlands: Upcoming Online Auctions
Big Tex - River Oaks: Upcoming Online Auctions