A successful move starts with a smart plan.
Moving is often one of life’s more stressful experiences, but it doesn’t have to be. By utilizing a strategic and organized approach and following a timeline, you will be fully prepared for moving day and save yourself a lot of time and energy throughout the process.
Two months prior to move:
- First things first: start with renting your storage unit. This is the time to go through all of the items in your house, and decide ahead of time what is staying, going, and what can easily spend time in your storage unit without being missed. You will also need to decide if you will want/need a climate controlled unit for some of your items.
- Start getting quote for moving companies or trucks if you plan on using them.
- Make a list of your most expensive items, and call your homeowners insurance company to have these items covered during the transition. You can also tell them your new address, and set a date for the policy change. Ensure your policy covers “off-site storage”, else upon storing purchase an affordable tenant insurance policy for peace of mind.
- Make a list and keep a file with pertinent information and details surrounding your move.
- Set aside important documents and valuables that you don’t want packed up.
- Contact your local utility companies and arrange to have them shut off the day after your move. Also set up installation at your new home. Remember to call:
One month prior to move:
- Start organizing your move. Determine which items you’ll want to move yourself and which items you’ll need help from professional movers. Also note any belongings you want to throw away or donate.
- Determine what moving supplies you will need and if you can obtain them from the storage facility.
- Start packing less frequently used items, such as décor, seasonal clothing, junk drawers and spare dishes.
- Put your system for your moving and storage efforts into action. Label boxes as they are packed with what’s inside and which room they should be unpacked in, and then place them out of the way until your moving day.
Two weeks prior to move:
- If you’re using a moving company, go ahead and give them a call to confirm the date and time. Get them printed directions and your cell number.
- Arrange child and pet care for the day of your move.
- Start cleaning any near-empty rooms. Scrub appliances, baseboards, walls, ceilings and any wall treatments you will be leaving behind.
- Continue packing all the way down to the absolute essentials.
One week prior to move:
- Do your final walk-through at the new place about 3 days prior to closing.
- Finish packing, but leave a couple sets of clothes out in paper bags just in case there’s an emergency and the moving trucks don’t
- It’s an appropriate time to get your appliances ready so remove flammable materials, like propane tanks, and wipe everything down.
- Clean out the fridge the day before your move begins.
- Keep a couple emergency items out (i.e. spare set of clothes and other essentials) in case the movers don’t show or delays occur.
- Prepare snacks and drinks for moving day, including plenty of water bottles.
- Pack bedding and take beds a part.
- Organize items in the moving truck in the order you want them to go into storage. Have items that will be placed at the back of the unit placed in the moving truck last so they are the first to grab.
- Place any items the movers aren’t taking into your own vehicle.
- Ensure your home is cleaned and nothing is left behind.
Avoid moving day headaches and check out our Storage Resources to learn tips and see how you can make your moving day a cinch. Contact Big Tex Storage today to see how you can benefit from our convenient storage units during your move!